Friday, August 11, 2017

No Panleuk, just Upper Respiratory Infections!

Posted from Facebook:
"So my little kittens are still looking pretty rough; They have both developed upper respiratory infections and each have a gunky eye (on top of the pre-existing ringworm).
I've been loaded up with a full regime of meds and treatments for them: Oral antibiotics and Lysine for the URIs, Probiotics and a new dewormer for digestive upset, an antiviral in case they catch anything else because they're immunosuppressed right now, and an Antifungal shampoo and Lyme Dip for the ringworm.
Oh yeah, and the shelter lent me a nebulizer to use on them three times a day to try and decongest them a bit.

As skittish as these little guys are I'm waiting to start the lyme dip and ringworm shampoo until they're a bit further along; they're so shy and scared and I'm really working on trust building with them right now. I think the baths would undermine what I'm working on with them.
I make it a point to pick them up and cuddle them until they purr whenever I have to give them a med or nebulize them. They're both still very hissy when they see hands coming for them, but as soon as I hold them and start petting they start purring. Little boy even licked my nose earlier while I was holding him.
This is only our second full day of fostering but I think we've already made some good progress. I can sit on the floor of the bathroom next to the food and water and after about 5 min both kittens will come out of hiding to eat and drink, or just to sit and clean themselves. They still startle if I move or make and loud noises, but they seem to be getting used to me being around."

No comments:

Post a Comment