Friday, August 11, 2017

What is a Nebulizer and why should I use it for sick kittens?

So I figured that I should share a bit of information about one of the treatments for my foster kittens; Nebulizer treatment.

"Nebulizers are delivery systems in which bulk liquids containing dissolved drugs are put into a fine particle mist. The resulting mist is breathed in, allowing delivery directly to the respiratory tract. Inhaled therapy allows higher concentration of antibiotic to be delivered where needed without toxic levels being reached. Symptoms are alleviated and breathing eased. Nebulization therapy breaks up congestion, which supports an animal's immune response. A major benefit of nebulization therapy is seeing quick, positive results. Upper respiratory infection (URI) causes animals not to breathe through the nose. Effective therapy for upper respiratory infections in the nasal sinus takes a step to allow "nose breathing" while inhaling. Nebulization works best if animals can breathe through their nose, getting to the source of the problem."

My kittens are getting twice-daily nebulizer treatment with sterile saline solution; this is supported by oral antibiotics and Lysine powder.

The nebulizer treatment can very extremely important for undersized and underweight kittens; most cats eat only when they can smell their food, and congested kittens will stop eating. I run the nebulizer treatment for 20 mintues before feeding time in the hopes that it will help decongest the kittens enough that they will eat on their own. Little girl is underweight enough that I'm feeding her gruel from a syringe to supplement what she eats on her own. Little guy seems to be eating well on his own at this point and doesn't seem to need any supplemental feedings.

I've used nebulizer treatments in the past on fosters with URIs and the results are always very good; usually the kittens make a pretty good recovery in about three to four days. I'm hoping it will help out my current kitties. I do feel pretty bad about having to the use the nebulizer on my current kittens; the machine is pretty loud and you have to confine them in a small space (pet carrier) so that the nebulizer is most effective. My little guys seem pretty freaked out by it :(

No comments:

Post a Comment